Happy Friday! It’s an October Friday, so even better. I have a few things to share today, so here goes.
1. This week, I found out one of my new manuscripts was the runner-up in the RWA Lone Star Contest’s Inspirational Category! I entered this manuscript to get feedback and direction moving forward with it, so it was a huge surprise and affirmation to what I learned at conference that this story is one that needs to be told 🙂 More on that later, though.
2. I made the decision to enter National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) in November. This means that novelists have the month of November to write 50,000 words on their WIP. I’ll be dividing that between two projects and spending the rest of this month preparing so it doesn’t end up like past attempts — falling on my face and then skidding some. I’ll share my plans here next week.
3. You know how I love being intentional and planning things? I made a planner printable for NaNoWriMo, and you can download it for FREE by clicking here. It’s 15 pages with two days on each page. The layout’s designed to encourage you to jot down non-writing responsibilities so you can have an overview of things that might get in the way (no excuses!), intentionally plan out times of the day to write, and then jot down notes for the next day so you can jump right into it more easily.
4. My writing sister Kara Isaac got to see a real, live copy of her first published book baby this week! So the sisters and I have kind of been partying all week and remembering our favorite parts of the story. I can’t wait until the rest of you can read this stellar romantic comedy in April 2016! If I ever had a book recommendation, it’s this one. Kara has these clever turns of phrase and gets her characters into predicaments that will make you laugh out loud. She’s a fantastic storyteller! You can pre-order it here: Amazon + Barnes&Noble.
5. Yesterday my kids and I met some friends at our favorite bakery in town. After eating her blueberry crumb bar, I caught my girl surrounded by books in the window. She just turned four, so she can’t read quite yet. But she really loves looking at the pictures and telling the stories out loud. If this picture doesn’t make me feel like I’m doing something right as a #wordnerd mama, nothing will! 🙂
BONUS: Last but not least, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has been so supportive of me as I expand my consulting business to serve individuals. So many shared and showed the love last week! I truly have the best friends, family, and hopefully new clients! <3
Hope you find time this weekend to watch some good football (or read a book while everyone else does), warm a mug with your favorite hot chocolate, and feel the hug of soft flannel or fleece.